For most of us, getting married and having children dramatically reduces the number of dates we have time, money and energy to enjoy with our husbands. Just coming up with fun date ideas seems to take too much energy! And when we do have a “date night,” it typically involves sitting or eating or both.
But if you’re trying to eat well, get in shape, lose weight or just live a healthier life, an evening of eating high-calorie foods and sitting through a movie suddenly doesn’t seem very appealing.
Fortunately, it’s easy to expand the definition of “going on a date” to include activities that are fun and healthy; I call them “active dates.” Active dates are fun and, as a bonus, they provide great opportunities to create shared experiences and build intimacy and connection with your husband.
(This post contains affiliate links.)
And, many of these active, healthy and fun date ideas are free or inexpensive. One way to save money on them (and to get some great ideas) is to sign up to receive notices about healthy and outdoor activities Living Social or a similar services.
You can find great deals on fun activities such as canoe trips, bike rentals, walking tours or admission to historic sites. My husband and I have taken a couple of guided kayak trips using those kinds of deals. That’s the kind of thing we probably wouldn’t do on our own, but with a group it was easy and fun.
Are you ready to get out of your comfort zone (just a bit) and come up with some healthy and fun date ideas? If so, here are 16 ideas to help you get started:
• Take a hike – walk the trails at a nearby park or nature preserve.
• Go dancing or take dance lessons – all forms of dancing provide great exercise and an opportunity for fun and intimacy. Look for coupons or discounts.
• Visit a botanical garden, zoo or other outdoor attraction.
• Plan a sports date – if you both play the same sport (for example, golf or tennis), plan a time to play together. Or take lessons and learn a new sport together.
• Go for a bike ride.
• Take a walking tour of an interesting city/town.
• Take a walk and stop for a cup of coffee or light snack.
• Go roller skating.
• Tackle the climbing wall at a gym or park.
• Go kayaking or canoeing. If you don’t have your own gear, look for a guided trip that includes everything you need.
• Do a zipline adventure.
• Go to the gym and work out, then enjoy a light meal on the way home.
• Explore a rail-to-trail project in your area.
• Play Ultimate Frisbee at a local park. Or just toss around a regular Frisbee.
• Visit an historical site and take a tour.
• Take a long walk and then enjoy your own healthy picnic.
• Enjoy a meal at a restaurant that serves healthier fare, then take a walk and window shop before heading home.
(Need to save time so you can enjoy some of these healthy dates? Download my free ebook – The Busy Woman’s Guide to Quick and Healthy Meals.)
My husband and I have bikes we haven’t used very often, so we’re hoping to ride our bikes more over the next few months. What kinds of active, healthy and fun date ideas have you and your husband tried? Please share them in the Comments – I would love to hear from you.
You may also like:
- Add Some Adventure to Your Marriage!
- 18 Ways to Spice Up Your Marriage
- 15 Ways to Connect with Your Husband – When Life Gets Crazy!
Add a little bit of spice to your marriage!
Get 18 Ways to Spice Up Your Marriage. Plus simple tips for a healthy life and happy marriage - right to your inbox.