One of the things I love most about spring is that it offers up an opportunity to start afresh or try something new. Even if things seemed a bit grim or tedious in the winter, spring says “Hey, things are looking up!” So I asked some of my favorite health and family bloggers for their best tips for fun, smart and healthy things to do this spring. And they have some fantastic idea – tips for eating well, feeling more beautiful, exercising, cleaning and organizing, starting a garden, hitting the road with kids, and more.
If you’re as ready for warmth, flowers and sunshine as I am, I think you’ll like these 12 smart and healthy ideas for embracing spring and leaving winter behind: (this post includes affiliate links)
12 Fun, Smart and Healthy Things to Do this Spring
- Spring Clean Your Diet – Juggling Real Food and Real Life – Nobody does “real food for a busy mom” better than Christina. She offers the most practical advice I’ve found for feeding your family a real food diet, without driving yourself crazy in the process. In this post, Spring Clean Your Diet, she shares 5 practical tips for eating well – tips that every mom can implement with a modest investment of planning and organization.
- A Beginner’s Mindset – Setting My Intention – I love this post because Angela is talking about yoga, but she’s also talking about life. She describes what it means to practice yoga with a beginner’s mindset, and then shows how that mindset applies to all of life. When we approach something as an “expert,” we may miss some of the possibilities and opportunities it offers – because we already know everything. But when we approach it as an beginner, (even if we know quite a bit about it), we open ourselves up to new possibilities and opportunities. This is a perfect mindset to adopt for the spring, which is a time of new beginnings and many possibilities.
- 9 Things to Do in the Garden this Spring – Little Sprouts Learning – Christina grows fabulous vegetables and spends her days teaching children how to garden. I love this post because it’s giving me a gentle nudge to start working on my garden! In 9 Things to Do in the Garden this Spring she outlines simple steps we need to take now in order to grow healthy vegetables and herbs this summer.
- 10 Must Haves for Healthy Living Every Day – Healthy Helper – Kaila shares 10 items she uses every day to make it a little bit easier to live a healthy and active lifestyle. I already use a couple of these, including a FitBit fitness tracker, but some of them are new to me. For instance, I’ve wanted to use apple cider vinegar more often, but never thought of mixing it with seltzer water. I love that idea! I also need an insulated meal and snack bag like the one she uses.
- Feel Beautiful – Dust Off Your Exercise Shoes! – Hot, Holy and Humorous – J. has written a great series that encourages women to learn to feel beautiful and to embrace their natural beauty. In my favorite post of the series, Feel Beautiful – Dust Off Your Exercise Shoes!, she encourages all of us to exercise regularly and shares practical ideas for making exercise happen. And she confesses that she’s a reluctant exerciser who pushes through the reluctance because she knows that exercise makes her feel good about herself and her body. I love this post!
- Top 10 Tools for Spring Cleaning – 365ish Days of Pinterest – While you may not consider spring cleaning to be fun (I don’t), it’s definitely smart and healthy. Plus, getting a few spring cleaning tasks out of the way helps you feel more organized and slightly more in control of your life! In Top 10 Tools for Spring Cleaning, Nicole offers some simple, practical cleaning tips that save time and money. And I love that’s she’s recommending lots of common, non-toxic ingredients, like vinegar, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and wax paper!
- Natural Deodorizing Room Spray – Simple Life Mom – In addition to cleaning up for spring, I want to get rid of the smell of winter! Our house is 60+ years old, and it tends to get musty when it’s closed up for too long. That’s why I was so thrilled to find Kelly’s Natural Deodorizing Room Spray. It contains only natural ingredients – just filtered water and essential oils – and no chemicals or heavy perfumes. Although you can use any essential oils you like, Kelly’s recipe includes oils specifically chosen because they reduce odors – lemongrass, lavender, bergamot and eucalyptus.
- Healthy Travel Snacks – Little Family Adventure – If you’re planning a trip this summer, you know you’re going to need some snacks. Whether you’re taking the entire family, or you and your husband are getting away on your own, every trip requires snacks. And if you’re trying to eat well or watch your weight, you don’t want to rely on gas stations or fast food restaurants when hunger strikes. Fortunately, Nicky has this covered. She’s an expert on traveling with kids, and in Healthy Travel Snacks she shares a terrific list of snacks that will keep the entire family happy and healthy – plus offers tips for packaging them.
- Simple Ways to Feel Sexy this Spring – CalmHealthySexy – One of the reasons I love spring so much is that warm weather and sunny skies make it a bit easier to feel sexy. Just getting rid of the heavy clothes and dreary weather helps me feel better all around, which opens up the door to feeling sexier. Add in more sunshine, lighter food, and more opportunities to exercise, and suddenly sexy seems possible. If the change in season helps you see new possibilities too, here are some Simple Ways to Feel Sexy this Spring.
- Spring Clean Your Refrigerator – Juggling Real Food and Real Life – If you’re thinking about making some healthy changes to your diet this spring, here’s the first thing you need to do – clean out your refrigerator and freezer. You want to get rid of out-of-date food, junk food and food your family isn’t going to (or shouldn’t!) eat. Although that task seems overwhelming, it really isn’t. Christina has a step-by-step plan that will help you Spring Clean Your Refrigerator and leaving you feeling organized and ready to take on your new, healthier way of eating.
- 6 Ways to Get Leaner, Stronger and Healthier this Spring – CalmHealthySexy – In this post I share six very simple things every woman – even the busiest wife and mom – can do to get fit, get healthy, and feel great this spring. I encourage you to try one or two of them this week and see how you feel!
What are your fun, smart or healthy ideas for this spring? Are you planning to make some changes or try something new? Please share them in the Comments – I would love to hear from you.
Create your best life!
Get health and marriage tips by email + a free marriage resource