- Focus on staying healthy and keeping things calm and relaxed. For women, few things squash the libido more than feeling sluggish and overweight because of a bad diet, lack of exercise, and limited sleep, or feeling so stressed out that it’s impossible to relax.
- Decide that you are going to enjoy sex and intimacy regularly throughout the holiday season. You might think of it as a gift to your husband, but really it’s a gift to you too. If enjoying sex does not come easily to you, get a copy of a great new book by Sheila Wray Gregoire, 31 Days to Great Sex (it’s a digital book and costs just $4.99).
- Plan at least two fun, relaxing activities for you and your husband to do during the holidays. Lori at The Generous Wife wrote about this recently, and I thought it was such a fantastic idea. It’s hard to feel connected to your husband when you’re in “Christmas commander” mode all the time! So do a couple of things to help you get out of that mode – attend a Christmas concert, go for a hayride, take a walk at night and look at Christmas lights, go out for coffee or cocoa, go to a movie. If possible, get out of the house – because it’s hard to relax when you can see all of the stuff you need to be working on. When you get home, enjoy some intimacy together.
- Invest in some fun holiday lingerie and model it for your husband. It doesn’t have to be expensive, just something fun to set the mood.
- Set a festive, relaxed mood. Put the kids to bed early. Take a bubble bath, light some candles, play some romantic or sexy music.
- Give your husband the gift of your time. I think that husbands can feel left out at this time of year. Everything is about the kids and the list of things that have to get done! Of course, creating a wonderful Christmas for your children is a priority. But make your husband a priority too. Sit down and watch a football game or movie with him, go to bed when he does several nights a week, go for a walk together after dinner, do some of your holiday tasks together, say no to things that don’t really matter so you can say yes to the things that really do. (Speaking of gifts for your husband, JessieLeigh at Parenting Miracles recently posted an article I love – Three (Easy) Ways to Gift Your Husband.)
Healthy Life, Happy Marriage
Get 15 Ways to Connect with Your Spouse - When Life Gets Crazy! Plus simple tips for a healthy life and happy marriage - right to your inbox.